Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Things are looking up at MotoChu!

I don't know how it is that things have started to change (for the better) at Motobu Chugakko. Today during cleaning time some girls asked me if I saw the latest pirates movie and that they went to see it last week and it was "very very enjoy" all this in broken English.

Also, I have not been sitting idle in the staff room making odd arts and crafts, reading, making flashcards or sleeping instead of going to the class with JTEs. I actually had 5 (repeat five!!) classes in the past two days I've been here. And not only that, but when I went to these classes, I wasn't just a looming shadow lurking in the corners as before, but the new JTEs actually involve me in the team-teaching. Not only that, but the students have been very nice to me recently, high-fiving and stopping in corridors to exclaim "O! Juuhie!!" and making attempts at small talk in English. Is it possible? Is it really possible?

Last year during the Christmas week, I had made extensive material to explain about that festival (and mind you I don't even celebrate it!) and the students were almost about to rip them all apart, while the previous JTE stood there doing nothing to control the class. The only one time I actually shouted at the students was at MotoChu last year! All my activities failed at MotoChu last year. All my efforts seemed to me a waste. My face would crinkle in an ugly frown just thinking I had to go there and suffer again. Visiting that school seemed a punishment!

But it isn't that bad anymore. I am enjoying it here. I am helping with the speech contest along with Dave. I also had a breakthrough with one the most difficult child of the school. His name is constantly brought up in the staff room "Kouta did this today", "Kouta did that today", "Kouta has done this again..." and so forth. Last year, when he was in First year, he was made to stand in the teachers room for a few hours. and believe you me, that is an extremely severe punishment one could get out here! Well, I had to interview each student individually on some questions they were taught, and Kouta came and actually tried to answer! I gave him a 6 out of 10 for his efforts and I felt maybe i should have given more just to encourage him, but the JTE was so surprised at even this score. She said he would never even attempt prior to that day. She couldn't believe it and immediately after the class went to the homeroom teacher to tell about this strange occurrence.

was it really last Thursday when I had woken up, gotten ready to go to school and didn't, 'cause I couldn't bare the thought of sitting at my desk uselessly or going to class to students who couldn't care a F*%# about me being there? I had refused to go there! Is this that same school? I do not really know how this reversal happened... but I can't be gladder for it! MotoChu isn't so hated anymore! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Ju,

Good going :) KIU

me back from my chutties and busy catching up with studies and work
:(

Cheers, Deepika

Liz Brooks said...

Glad to hear the good news, Juhi! And all the new sunrise/sunset pictures are absolutely beautiful. Let's hang out this weekend, OK?