Wednesday, June 20, 2007

not so mundane but still very much so...

This term I get to go to Motobu Junior High School the most. I had thought that it was my punishment for leaving my Board of Education after only one year! But of course, as my previous post says, things are looking up and I am quite enjoying coming here :) And there are ample ironies to assault my tickle bone...

Yesterday, the 2nd years had one of the most ridiculous workshop ever! This workshop happened after cleaning and since David was here for the story contest practice, we went to see what was up! Apparently, a famous hairdresser in Okinawa, called Aya, came to give a demonstration along with her assistants and makeup artist. The ultra-fashionable clothes, make-up and hairdos, suggested that they were tourists from mainland as Okinawans usually clad simple, comfortable and yet elegant clothing. For this demonstration, two girls -2nd year students - were brought wearing highly fashionable clothing unsuitable for 14-year olds. And then the troop went to war armed with scissors and brushes against all common sense and decency; snipping away at the students hair and plastering them with make-up, in a gust of oohs and aahs of kawaaiiiis from the other mesmerized girls. The boys of course wondered what they were doing there. Their purpose was made clear, I guess, when they had to whistle and hoot once the war was over.

I am left to contemplate what was learnt during this workshop? Is this a dress rehearsal for high school when all the girls will shorten their skirts, flaunt their legs and under-things, put make-up, flash keitais and smoke their time away? Maybe I'm just too scandalized and therefore so critical!! I know I can't see this in a flippant light, maybe Philboyd Snrub can see some humour on this subject...
.




Anyhow, on a brighter note, I had my own two classes today. Dear Akemi sensei's daughter fell sick and she had to take her to the hospital, so i was left to my own devices! I was nervous handling a Junior High class by myself... even though at the elementary schools I have to plan my own lessons and conduct them all by myself, I have the homeroom teacher to help out when, and if, I need it and to control the class if it gets out of hand. This time I was the only teacher present in the classroom, and it went smoothly. The ichi-nen-seis (1st years) are a thoroughly decent bunch (so drastically different from last year's bunch!) and they did not start taking liberties once they knew I was on my own. I have been busy as a bee, but I am loving every moment as the reward is SWEET!!!!

dumtee-dumdee-dum-humzzz!!! :)