Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sobetsukai

At this time of the year the professional world of education in Japan goes topsy-turvy. Teachers and Staff get transferred, and like a pack of cards people get shuffled within each prefecture. Every Office/School organises farewells for those leaving. I haven't been to any of my school's sobetsukai's (farewell parties), not having been invited to any. David says that I will have to ask them about it, but I guess I just prefer not to. I don't really care for the all schools that much... I must be a bad JET ALT, refusing to socialize. But then the schools must be bad too not even mentioning it to me. I don't want to go somewhere I'm not invited, who would? David says its because they think we might be busy as we have so many schools. How can they presume that without asking us? I donno! I don't care anymore! It was the same story as the bonnenkais (New Year's Party). I just go to my office parties, and that is all I really care for!

And no-one but I is bothered about what follows... dear reader, you need not bother reading it, if you don't wanna know a small part of my existence. This is warning to save precious 15 minutes of your life.

Today was our office's sobetsukai. I just came back from it. I had not known who or how many were leaving. I only knew that Saori-san was going as she is going to have a baby. Over there I was given the worst news ever... Kazuko sensei was leaving as well. I was devastated.

Kazuko sensei is my pseudo-supervisor. She is more my supervisor than my actual supervisor is. Kazuko sensei took care of me and she has been almost like a mom. From the moment I met the Motobu gang at the airport to receive me when I first came here, she made me completely at ease with her loud ways, approachable and expansive nature. She was the most un-Japanese Japanese person I had met till then - that was before I discovered that Okinawa wasn't REALLY Japan... but even then she is a different Okinawan too.

She lent me her sanshin to learn from, she made free passes to the Aquarium for my friends who came for lunch at place before going to the famous Churaumi. She gave me plants to make my house home. She drove all the way from Nago to my house and back to get some papers I had forgotten at my apartment in order to give my scooter test once - even when she had an important meeting soon after, but she still did that so that I didn't miss out a test that was held twice a month. (Who does that??) She went and got my license from Nago for me when I finally did clear the test. And she held a small party for me to present me with it at the office (details are in my Scooter Saga blog, for those interested in a funny bittersweet story). She called ten dozen people when I burst in tears one day in front of her to ask in english what was wrong! she didn't know how to ask me, or thought that she wouldn't be able to understand what I said.

When she gives a gift, she doesn't present it with both hand bowing ten times, she will take it out of the cover, ripping it if it takes too long, and then shows what it is. And I love her for her informality. Who needs the needless distancing formalities, when one can be made to feel comfortable and at ease? She lights up whatever room she is in. And who knows how many problems she faces? She is unmarried and supports her old parents and sisters who have many kids...


Kazuko sensei is my hero. She is a great person, and I will miss her a lot. Working in the office wont be the same again.

This was the speech I might have given today...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that was beautifully written and I am sure conveyed how deeply you feel about her :-)

Really liked it.

So what else happening? Do you get to visit Neha at times or is it too far?

Cheers, Deepika

Unknown said...

thank u deepika!
I will be going to tokyo next month. Ill meet di then. last time i was in tokyo (august'06) i was busy with my orientation conference and barely stayed there for 3 days! so it will be great!

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
No More Crawling Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Quickly Find Movies, Console Games, MP3s, Applications and Download Them at Alarming Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB Search[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Making money on the internet is easy in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat system[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or little-understood avenues to generate an income online.