Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Mind vs Heart

Today I had a house visit from a strange but friendly cat.



Kawaii so!!!!

It was meowing outside my aparto and when I opened the door to see what cat had ventured so far, it entered my house curious, wondering why an Indian lived in Motobu. Curious CAT - only this time, curiousity didn't kill the cat! Well, it refused to go out after finding my house a non-hostile territory. I put it out only for it to jump back in taking advantage of the time it took my door to close. It then proceeded to take a tour of every inch of my house, and in no time jumped over any and every thing. It even found my dinner and sniffed it, apparently it was his favorite - waffles! And it couldn't keep its paws off them!

I started calling people about my cat situation, when it still refused to go out. I threw it out a number of times, I even took it downstairs. But it knew the way to my
house and reached the door before I could blink! It was the first cat to come to me and allow me to pet it! Anyone who knows me well enough knows my professed hate for cats - but I only hated cats because they were unfriendly. Where was that hate now? CAT is so cute and fluffy and fat. And it has the sweetest of eyes! What cat has eyes that conveys innocence in place of shrewd cruelty?

My sensitive soul has been put in this dilemma:

Mind says, "It might be a stray cat, therefore carrying diseases. Put it out!!"
Heart says, "But it must be a lost
housecat, why else is it so friendly? Stray cats aren't friendly!"
Mind says, "You aren't allowed to keep pets in your apartment. Put it out!!"
Heart says, "But it might die outside if it IS a
housecat!"
Mind says, "Its hair will get into everything, and no dog will ever sniff you again. Put it out!!"
Heart says, "But its so cute n adorable n fluffy n fat n cute!!"
Mind says, "It will scratch up your clothes, tatami and wooden floor. Put it out"
Heart says, "But its so cute n adorable n fluffy n fat n cute!!"
Mind says, "Are you out of your frickin' mind? Are you frickin' kidding me? You wanna keep a cat?? Will you spend all the money getting a litter box and Vet visits and all the cat crap? What if your landlord finds out?? What will you do when it contaminates your kitchen with itself?? You call yourself clean-freak and allow a strange cat in your
house? And what will you do when you leave Okinawa?? Put it out!!"

I don't have a heart to put CAT out. The heart I do have doesn't want to do so. But my mind conquers. There are times when one must take drastic measures, make the heart into steel and let logic take the lead. CAT is cute, but CAT must go. Even then it doesn't mean that my heart doesn't melt when I open the window to check up on it n it comes under it n stares at me meowing pitifully, with what seem to be wet eyes beseeching me to take it back in.

CAT is currently sitting outside in a carton I laid out for it, eating half of my dinner.


Postscript:
1. In keeping with Mind's viewpoint, and to avoid sentimentality, I named the cat CAT, named it nevertheless, (take that Mind!).
2. If u noticed, house appears in blue, that is in keeping with the book I am currently reading, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cat (catty american teanager) ... got cat :-)

Deepika

firststep said...

Eerie - The
size of the
post and
the post
itself has
changed,like
the house,
since I first
read it.

It must be my
mind playing
tricks.


-VS

____________________________________
..."Redwood. I saw him once a long time ago when I was young. I ran away and luckily, or no luck at all, he did not follow me. But now I cannot run and anyway this time I am certain he would follow" (House of Leaves 547).

Unknown said...

thanx for your comments guys! VS, I dont kno what to think of you! :)