Wednesday, July 18, 2007

bye bye Minna Island

Today was my last day at Minna Jima Shogakko. I went to the island yesterday and stayed over with one of the teachers, Koze sensei. I had this day planned out for a long time, and everyone was very supportive of my plan. I believe I gave them some novelty from their everyday routine life.

I never took the ferry at that time of day. It was nice and cool, with very few tourists on board (an unlikely thing to occur for the summer season). I met a Minna jima family on the ferry, which turned out to be relatives of Akanes. As soon as I arrived, I made a pudding at the school quickly, and then headed over to beach to see the sunset.

On the way, they got me shaved ice, passion fruit flavor. It was some of the best stuff I ever tasted.

After seeing the sun go down, we proceded to walk home while lightening fell near Ie-jima. The teachers then took me to Yuki and Riki's house for dinner. I felt guilty putting Yuki and Riki's mom on the spot trying to concoct something for me to eat. But its ok... they knew I was vegetarian. We played trump after dinner till the boys got tired. After tucking the boys in bed, we women chatted. An interpretor was called, a friend of the mom and lifeguard at the beach. He spoke very good english having picked up the language living and teaching snowboarding in Utah in the winters. He gave me valuable advice for climbing Fuji-san, and we had an interesting coversation of English teaching in Japan.

The next day, it was thunderstorming outside. Koze sensei had gone to school early, but I kept sleeping and wasn't required to be at school until my class. I wore my sari and reached school before ten. Prepared my lesson, did the class at eleven thirty,






ate kyushoku, etc and then the school had a small ceremony for me. It was bittersweet. When boarding the ferry, Koze and Nao senseis gave me the cutest gift. Slippers of Minna-jima made by Akanes mom, and sea shells from the island. I bid goodbye with awkward hugs, and flying kisses to Riki, who came to the port. I cried a little on the ferry. If I get the oportunity, I will go back once more, but who knows if there will be time on my hands..

So, til then, goodbye Minna jima...


No comments: