Sunday, July 1, 2007

my busy week

the last week has been one of the busiest week of this year I spent in Okinawa.... see how...

After the event for the kids from hokkaido, i came back home and busied myself in preparing lessons for elementary schools this whole week. I donno when I went to sleep. Next day, I show up at work to discover the schedule has been changed. Instead of the classes, I will just be cooking with the kids.. I had thought we will cook after lunch... Anyhow, it turned out all good. even though i had to call my mom frantically in the morning to ask how to make puri....




So that was Tuesday. Cooking with Sesoko Shogakko go and roku-nen-seis {5th and 6th grades}



=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-+=-=+=

Wednesday, I had a Minna jima visit. {Its the school with four students, on another island} I love going to this school... who wouldnt... we get to take a ferry, which leaves at ten o clock so we get to sleep in later and there is one english class with the sweetest of kids... I had to play kick baseball with the kids and teachers in my skirt... it was exhausting - and in the heat even more so - and I came back home and fell asleep on my couch. and didnt bother to wake up for badminton. This the edge of the island from the ferry, and you can see the rest of Okinawa honto {mainland} in the background:


=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-+=-=+=-=+=-=+=


Thursday, I had Kamimotobu Shogakko. another round of tiring classes, and since Saturday was fast approaching, Dave and I made two visits at MotoChugakko once after lunch, and then after school. It was a beautiful sunset that day....



=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-+=-=+=-=+=-=+=

Then Friday, Book Club. Discussed The Idiot by Dosteovsky... loved the book... would give more insightful comments some other time... this was the unique sunset off the coast of Chatan, from te balcony of our book club cafe Celluloide...



=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-+=-=+=-=+=-=+=


Saturday, the story contest. On the right is Mari, whose story was Yertle the Turtle, and on the left is Yumi, who narrated a horror story called The Viper. These kids were fantastic. For practice, they came on time and never complained, worked hard at their tasks. But the competition was stiff and they didnt place... As all things Japanese, there seems no pattern... But diajobu... ce la vie...



Thats Takemi sensei in the middle. his English is great, and his deep resonant voice keeps the rowdy kids in check with one shout. Anyhow, higashi bens kid got first place, Rogers horror story got second and third place went to a girl whose story wasnt very interesting, but her pronounciation was very good.


After the story contest, the hardworking ALTs came to my house to bitch about each others kids ;p


So, I wore my sari and looked pretty for hokkaido kids, I taught kids how to cook indo-curry and nan {it was actually potato sabji and puri}, I learned how to play kick baseball, I had a highly interesting discussion on a literary masterpiece, I helped my largest school with a prominent competition, I had the pleasure of great company at my house, and I still had time to appreciate the wonders of nature.



2 comments:

Amy said...

A whole week of elementary school! Welcome to my world...

Unknown said...

hahahaha... :>
i enjoy it really...
i feel like i am actualy doing something... it was busy but fun and an experience in itself!