Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ie, here I come again...

I went to Iejima one last time, and this time I went with my scooter. I took the last ferry from Motobu, at the last minute, dodging important discussions with Sup. No, not really... Dave had it under control. I reached Josh's apartment and his teachers/neighbours instantly assumed I was his girlfriend. Anyhow, I headed off to Mt. gusuku to see the sun go down and after I came down, I got stopped by a bunch of old islanders who were curious to know about a foreign non-white girl riding around on a baiku by herself. They made me sit down with them and shot questions at me which I was glad to understand and answer to. But I was getting nervous as it was getting late and I had to join Josh at a teachers BBQ, for which I was already late anyway. I finally reached the beach having gotten lost in the dark country roads a couple of times.. I didn't even know if I landed up at the right BBQ until Yamaguchi sensei wildly flayed his arms and yelled over to me! I met him and his wife Ayumi, and all the teachers of Ie Junior high school. Yamaguchi sensei's wife is very pregnant. Her due date in 13 Aug, a day after I leave. So she was making a joke to give birth quickly. And, of course, I guessed correctly that its a girl!!
(I look pregnant in this picture too!! funny!)

The next morning, she got Josh and I breakfast :> yum...grilled cheese sandwich!! Then I headed out to explore Ie on my scooty. I wanted to cover as much ground as possible and therefore justify my bringing my scooter in the heat!

I headed over first thing to the famous Pawn Shop Ruins.

then I went to the Ernie Pyle Monument
After some confusion, and lovely views,

I reached the Niya Thiya cave where if one can lift a particular coral rock easily, then one is about to have a girl. But if one is unable to do so at ease, one is to have a boy-child. I am not pregnant, but I tried to lift it, and it seemed quite a task.... will I have a boy? Gosh, I want a girl!! (I can't)



Then I rode around trying to find a temple! Gave up and ended up on the deserted airstrip. (Only picture I have of my bike!!! so cherished...)
In a sudden thought I realised while trying to find the daffodil park, that the ferry times had changed for the summer. and that if there was any chance I would go to the Farewell BBQ, I'd have to leave on a sooner ferry. So i head back to the port area, but not before taking a detour to some holy spot (the name of which I don't remember...) It was near the turtle tower though!



Don't know if ever I will come back here, I hope I do! Its such a neat little island! love you, Ie, standing there in ocean spread out!


No comments: